Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Chapter 11

Has the lack in modesty made parents and other figures in our lives not care? Page 198 references the phrase "As long as you're happy." I heard this growing up. My parents made sure I make my own decisions, but were not absent in guiding me through the bigger, life-altering decisions. Modernity in parenting has created the sense of self-governing, but I do not think this equates modern parenting with fault of neglect. Guidance and independence in decision making can be integrated into molding more responsible youth.

Sara

3 comments:

engl1102 said...

I agree with what Sara is saying here. I feel a part of parenting is to let the child make their own decisions and deal with the consequences of those decisions. I feel it is also up to the parents to guide their child but not make up the child's mind for him or her.

Greg

engl1102 said...

I think that i have a bias in this situation because i have a very modest mother. She raised me with her conservative modests beliefs and they kinda rubbed off on me. As i left my sheltered world of a small private school with little nieve friends i realized that all families were not like mine. So, honestly I don't know what i think about this question. I guess it all depends on the differen't familiies with the diffren't situations.

engl1102 said...

kristin